These are the ramblings of my new discoveries about food, crafts, fashion and nonsense.

Saturday, December 31, 2011

And so

A new year begins tomorrow, or tonight depending on how you look at it. I'm excited about the new year for many reasons: starting a new, making goals, etc... only not. I guess in reality the new year started for me two months ago. So far things are going quite well. I'm learning new things, exploring my own fashion, learning how to make my hair less ugly and continuing on my ever changing quest with make-up. Wow, how superficial and vain of me.
FOR ONCE!
I've always been so pre-occupied with other people that I've never taken the time to be selfish and work on myself. So last year (2010) I said to myself that I would learn to be more selfish. So far s'ok. I mean I am living at home right now so my mom doesn't feel as lonely - ohkay, ohkay, so _I_ don't feel as lonely. And I really think of others first, but I'm improving. Starting with being a little more vain.

And so in the exploration of Lolita I've realized that a lot of brands I love actually carry a lot of lolitaesque clothing and accessories. Thus my decision to, here and now, list off some of my favorites.

1) Tokidoki - An Italian based designer who takes inspiration from Japan. Go figure that he would have rediculously cute designs that remind me of so many of the super cute cut-sews. Sadly Tokidoki can be very expensive for some one on a budget. Sadly that means that there are a lot of rip-offs of the brand. If you're reading this please visit his website for information on how to look out for said rip-offs! A lot of work goes into his designs and trust me they are worth it. I've found that his clothing lasts for quite a few washes! Sadly two of my t-shirts I've had to retire to PJ status as they are too short for me to comfortably wear in public - this was NOT due to manufacturing defaults but to the fact that I grew. (Slash gained weight.)
2) Kid Robot - Based from the United States, Kid Robot sells a bunch of different designers' cute plushies and plastic toys. Again, they can be expensive but with Kid Robot you're purchasing a piece of art that is usually (more often than not) limited edition meaning there are less than about 1,000 (or less than that) in the entire world. After a while certain pieces, much like Lolita dresses, become of more value and desire to people. Tokidoki has designed a few pieces for Kid Robot and their line of Kosik's labbits are too-cute! Heidi Kennedy's yummy breakfast key chains make nice chunky necklace pieces, or purse decorations and her breakfast plushies are edibly cutesy!
3) The Dollar store - silly I know but when in the hair section there are adorable clips adorned with bows, lace and ribbons! And hoo-boy are they cheap! $1 for 4 clips? Stock up!
4) Pin-Up Girl Clothing - Although waaaaay more sexy than lolita, they sell great 1950 style bathing suits that cover very nicely, cupcake and a-line full skirts and dresses (they have a tendency to be bold colours, but that somtimes can fit in :)) - that with the right pieces will suit lolita quite nicely. They also sell very nice mary-jane shoes on occasion that are super-duper comfortable! They have gloves that are so cute and accessories that can be woven into the right outfit. Sometimes a little expensive but the product is unbelievable! The fabrics they use are very nice!
5) Hell Bunny Dresses - The Hell Bunny brand doesn't have it's own website, so I find it best to google it and see what you can find in your city/country. Their clothing is cute and flowing - more along the pin-up girl style but the a-line and full skirts may make nice separates for Lolita. I really like the brand for their crinolines. AKA petticoats in the Lolita world. Technically petticoats are a full dress flared skirt but I'm not going to get fussy about that.
6) A great source for crinolines is Etsy. There seem to be quite a few people on there selling them in every shape, size and colour. The ones I've found all seem to be the crinoline type opposed to tulle or fabric which go limp quickly.

That's it for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment